I'm all about finding healthy recipes that taste delicious and that DON'T contain too many added calories or fat. Today's recipe is healthy and EASY to make. Plus, the leftovers make great lunches!
Note: the ingredient list is a bit longer but the prep time is only about 25 minutes!
Also note that the bbq sauce recipe makes about 3 cups, so you can freeze 2 cups for next time or use it as a marinade for chicken breasts!
Peach BBQ Lettuce Wraps
PEACH BBQ SAUCE
- 4 dates, pitted
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (I recommend Pure Indian Foods ghee)
- ½ cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and roughly chopped (may substitute 2 cups frozen peach slices, thawed, when fresh peaches are out of season)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dijon mustard (such as Annie’s or 365 Everyday brand)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup Peach BBQ
- 1 head of lettuce
1. Place pitted dates in a blender or food processor. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to allow dates to soften.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee and saute onions 7-8 minutes or until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Transfer onion and garlic mixture to blender with the dates.
4. Add remaining sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
5. Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
6. Pour 1 cup BBQ sauce over chicken. Stir to coat chicken then cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 5-6 hours or until cooked through.
7. Allow chicken to cool slightly before shredding with 2 forks right in the slow cooker.
8. Dish chicken into lettuce leaves and ENJOY!
Looking to cook other healthy and delicious meals at home, without spending hours a day in the kitchen? Be sure to grab a *FREE* copy of my perfect meal planner here!